Friday, September 2, 2011

Death to Flying Things Campaign Score 1-7

Now that was a learning experience!

Auner was quiet on a Friday night.  For a while it was just me.  But then Yogsoloth (record of 448 wins and 60 loses) appeared on local and also a Rupture (cruiser class vessel) appeared on d-scan.  Not a coincidence.  I looked around and found the belt where he was lingering and attacked with everything overheated and operational (a change from recent practice!).


I set a tight orbit (500m) and opened fire with my (T2!) autocannons.  A crash told me that Yogsoloth had hit me successfully and the combat log afterwards confirmed it, "Yogsoloth (425mm AutoCannon II) hits you for 278 damage".  Ouch.  I'm shooting 150mm and he has 425mm!

I turned on the armor repper since I was mostly out of shields and close to armor already.

That, in turn, started using up my cap and very soon my capacitor gave out.  That wasn't a problem for my autocannons - they continued to fire.  But my armor repair unit stopped functioning - which was a real problem.  Not too much later it was sirens and flashing red lights.  I exploded.

GFs were exchanged in local.

It wasn't until after the fight that I saw that I was under Yogsoloth's guns and after that first hit his 425mm AutoCannon II never touched me again!  I guess the 500m orbit does work against big guns!

What I hadn't realized until I looked at the log was that Yogsoloth had other devices.  Here's a sample of the log - see if you can spot what I spotted after the fight:


[ 2011.09.03 03:10:29 ] Group of 150mm Light AutoCannon II strikes (Rupture)Yogsoloth for 177 damage
[ 2011.09.03 03:10:30 ] Yogsoloth (425mm AutoCannon II) misses you
[ 2011.09.03 03:10:32 ] Group of 150mm Light AutoCannon II strikes (Rupture)Yogsoloth for 201 damage
[ 2011.09.03 03:10:32 ] Yogsoloth (425mm AutoCannon II) misses you
[ 2011.09.03 03:10:33 ] Yogsoloth (Warrior II) hits you for <b>35</b> damage
[ 2011.09.03 03:10:33 ] Yogsoloth (Warrior II) hits you for <b>26</b> damage
[ 2011.09.03 03:10:33 ] Yogsoloth (Warrior II) hits you for <b>47</b> damage
[ 2011.09.03 03:10:33 ] Yogsoloth (Warrior II) hits you for <b>18</b> damage
[ 2011.09.03 03:10:33 ] Yogsoloth (Warrior II) hits you for <b>27</b> damage


Look very closely.  Did you spot it?  Drones!  Warrior II drones!  Five of them!  Did I notice them at all during the fight?  Nope.  I was totally unaware.  I was focused on hitting the armor repair button repeatedly trying to get the rascal to work.

So, from the looks of the combat log, I was doing fine damage (378) and receiving no damage from Yogsoloth's guns.  But his drones were hitting me for 153 damage.  He was tanking my damage fine (I only made it about half way through his shields) and I had a tapped out capacitor and couldn't repair my armor from the damage the drones were doing.

If only I had started picking off his drones from the start instead of pouring Republic Fleet EMP S into his shields...  If only...

Several learning points here...

  1. Pay attention to the overview to watch for drones.
  2. Don't run the armor repper continuously - pulse it when I need it.
  3. Pay attention to the capacitor.
  4. Maybe I need a checklist or procedure to track what needs to be looked at during a fight (check distance, check overview for drones or other ships, check cap, check overheating, check distance, check overview for drones, check cap, check overheating, check distance, etc.) 
In the end, this was one of the most instructional fights I've had.  It lasted a fair amount of time (75 seconds) and gave me a insights on what I need to work on and improve.  



2 comments:

  1. It's eerie how similar our journeys are, Jack. I find myself nodding my head with a wry grin each time I read one of your posts. This one reminds me of my Lesson 7 and 8. Great read as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have the same feeling when reading your blog (and by new pvp'ers). Seems like we all make similar mistakes and it's nice to see that I'm not alone.

    It's also nice that it's only a game and that it's even fun when doing something stupid and getting destroyed. I'm having a great time!

    ReplyDelete